India eVisa – Basic informationIndia eVisa is an electronic visa that the Government of India decided to introduce in 2014. Its implementation was aimed at speeding up and facilitating the entire procedure of obtaining a visa for India. Eligible applicants can get their Indian visas online if traveling for tourism, business, or medical treatment. There are five types of electronic visas available in India that match different traveling purposes and differ in terms of permitted duration of stay and validity period. A person applying for an Indian eVisa needs to complete a short online form, upload supporting documents, cover the processing fee and receive the visa delivered to their email inbox. All these steps shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes, while the processing time may take up to a few days from the moment of submitting an application. Important: Should you need a rush visa service, as your trip to India is very soon, contact our support team for more information.
India eVisa available typesEligible applicants can choose between the following visa types:
- e-Tourist visa: a single-entry visa enabling a 30-day stay of tourism character; issued for 30 days
- e-Business visa: a multiple-entry visa remaining valid for 1 year; allowing a 180 day-stay in total (either consecutively or spread over numerous stays)
- e-Medical visa: a triple-entry visa issued for the purpose of medical treatment in India; valid for 4 months; allowing a 60-day stay in total (either consecutively or during 3 visits)
- One-Year visa: a multiple-entry visa issued for tourism-related visits in India; remains valid for 365 days
- Five-Year visa: a multiple-entry visa enabling numerous 90-day stays in India related to tourism; remains effective for 5 years** US and Japan nationals who hold a five-year e-tourist visa can stay in India for up to 6 months, each time throughout a 5-year validity period.
India visa online application formWhether applying for a tourist visa, business visa, or medical one, an applicant must simply follow these steps:
- Fill out the online form: enter your personal details, date of arrival in India, contact details, and other required information.
- Upload documents: upload your passport’s bio-data page copy, the photo of your face, and other supporting documents (if applicable).
- Double-check your details: make sure your application is error-free before submitting it further.
- Cover the processing fee: choose one of the available methods of online payment and cover the service fee.
- Receive your eVisa: refresh your email inbox and check whether your visa has already been delivered to you.
Validity period of India visa onlineThe validity of the eVisa to India depends on the type of the requested visa. The visas issued for business purposes remain valid for one year from the date of issue. Medical one stays valid for 4 months. In turn, an e-Tourist visa for India can be granted either for one month, one year, or even five years. Please note: Your passport cannot expire for a minimum of 6 months beyond the planned date of entry into India.
Transit informationIf you only transit through India before reaching the country of your final destination, you are not required to obtain an electronic visa provided that:
- you have an onward travel ticket
- your layover in India takes no more than 24 hours
- you will not leave the airport transit area when awaiting the connecting flight
List of eligible countries
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cape Verde
- Costa Rica
- Cote D’Ivoire
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Hong Kong
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Cook Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
- India eVisa is not a work permit – you cannot seek employment in India as an eVisa holder
- It is not possible to extend the Indian electronic visa
- The applicant’s passport data cannot be modified since eVisa is automatically matched to the passport – any changes will make a visa invalid
- The passport must remain valid for at least 180 days from the date of intended arrival in India (check its expiry date before making your application online!)
How do I get an India eVisa?
India eVisa can be obtained online in three intuitive steps, including filling out a short form, uploading required documents, and covering the processing fee. The approved visa will be next sent to the applicant’s email address, and there is no need to visit the Indian embassy to collect it.
When will I receive an India eVisa?
The processing time may differ between applicants as is determined by various factors such as the time when the application is submitted. For example, applying for a visa close to the Indian bank holidays may extend your waiting time. Moreover, you should note that making some mistakes in the submitted application form also may result in a longer processing time.
Do I need to print the India eVisa?
Yes, you should print it out and carry its physical copy for your trip. When crossing the Indian border, you may need to present it along with your valid passport.
What if my India eVisa is not approved?
Should your India visa is rejected, probably your application form contains some mistakes. Do not hesitate to contact our support team immediately to discuss your situation.
How long can I stay in India with an India eVisa?
Depending on the type of visa you hold, you may stay in India for either 30,60, 80, or 180 days.
What is the validity of the India eVisa?
India eVisa can be issued either for 1 month, 4 months, 1 year, or 5 years.
Do children need an India eVisa?
There is no age visa exemption, which means that a visa should be obtained by all eligible citizens regardless of their age. Application on behalf of underage travelers should be completed by their parents or legal guardians.
What is the cost of an India eVisa?
Applicants for India eVisa need to cover the processing fee, which may be either 129 or 149 Euro depending on the selected visa type as well as the applicant’s nationality.
What documents are required to get an India eVisa?
Application for an e-Tourist visa requires uploading a bio-data passport page copy and the applicant’s face photo. Additionally, for an e-Business visa, one needs to provide a business card or invitation letter from the Indian company. In turn, an e-Medical visa entails the requirement of uploading a written medical document confirming the planned medical treatment in India.
What data do I need to provide in the application form for an India eVisa?
You will be asked for some basic personal details, planned arrival date, port of entry, travel purpose, as well as contact information.